“Sled dog veterinarians are the luckiest doctors in medicine” -Dr Jerry Vanek
(Seminaariohjeet suomeksi täältä)
Informative weekend about sled dog sport to the veterinarians:
Taking care of sled dogs in the kennels and races
This weekend will be the first of the three lectures. In this seminar taking care of the sled dogs will be viewed from the veterinarian’s point. The following two lectures will be organized later and will take the learning into a deeper level. Now we will focus more on theory and then later learn how to use the skills in practice. Pohtimo Seminar’s star lecturer is Dr Jerry Vanek. He is a musher and a vet from North-America. Dr Vanek has got versatile experience about taking care of the sled dogs in authentic situations outside his practise.
The surroundings of Pohtimolampi, where this seminar is held, gives great opportunities to learn together and share knowledge. The staff of the hotel organize the meals and we recommend to purchase the meal package to complete the great weekend.
On Saturday part of the program is organized outside if weather permits. Also then there is time to get to know others, ask questions and learn from the discussions. Dr Vanek sends greetings to the participants that when signing in, questions can be asked already and he will try to answer to those during his lectures.
Time: October 11.-13th, 2019
Place: Lapland Hotels Bears Lodge, Pohtimolampi, Sinettä, Rovaniemi, Finland
- Jerry Vanek, Veterinarian and musher from Minnesota
- Royal Canin representative (named later)
Long-distance musher (named later)
Timetable (updated during autumn)
- Fri 11.10.19 at 17:00 Arriving at Bear’s Lodge, Dr Jerry Vanek’s opening speech
- Sat 12.10.19 Informative program both inside and outside
Sun 13.10.19 Informative program continues and ends around 15:00
- Possibility to get to know the gear and equipment needed in sled dog sports
- Display of Non-Stop equipments
- Display of Royal Canin products
- At the location also different kind of sled dogs and if weather permits short cart ride pulled by huskies.
Used language at the Pohtimo-Seminar is English and in the first instance, we welcome all the veterinarians to join. Of course all interested are welcome to join!
You can download the seminar schedule here.
- Until 31st of August: veterinarians and companies’ representatives
- Starting from the first of September: private persons as there are available places
Seminar fee 200 € (incl. VAT 24%), inquiries and registration by email: email@example.com
Accommodation and meals
Meal package 136 € including:
- Fri: welcome coffee and dinner
- Sat: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Sun: breakfast and lunch
Accommodation and meal package is reserved straight from Lapland Hotels firstname.lastname@example.org or +358 (0) 16 5300 400
For participants coming with a caravan, camping facilities are not provided.